How to compress PDF
As soon as you reduce the size of your PDF, you can send it by email much more easily. The reason for this: compressing saves storage space. In this practical tip we explain how you can implement the whole thing and benefit from it.
Compress PDF file using the resolution
The easiest way is to lower the resolution of the file. This will result in a loss of quality, but the file will also be significantly smaller.
- Open the PDF file and click “Print”.
- Select a PDF creator such as “PDF24 Creator” or “Bullzip PDF Printer” as the printer. If you don’t have a PDF printer, you should install it first.
- In the printer properties click on “Advanced”.
- Now set the print quality. For example, instead of the preset 600dpi, you now set 300dpi.
- Confirm with “OK” and create the PDF file by clicking on “Print”.
Compress PDF online using the web app
If you do not want to install an additional program on your computer, we recommend using web tools. We have selected AnyPDF as an example.
- To get to this browser-based tool, open this link.
- You will now receive a comprehensive overview of functions. Select the “Compress PDF” button.
- Now you can upload as many PDF documents as you want. To do this, use the “Select files” function or simply drag the files into the field provided.
- Finally, you still have to select the “Compress” button.
- After completing the compression process, you can download your scaled-down PDFs.
Compress PDF with software
Another quick alternative is the IrfanView program. With this you can reduce the size of your PDF document in just a few steps.
- Right click on the PDF file. Then click on “IrfanView” under “Open with”.
- Next click on the “Image” tab and then on “Resize …”. Alternatively, you can simply press the key combination “Ctrl” + “R”.
- You now have the option of changing the size of your PDF document as you wish.
- For example, the height and width can be varied as a percentage or to the nearest pixel. Alternatively, you can select any standard formatting.
Send PDF by email
If you want to send several PDFs as e-mails, you can pack these documents in a ZIP folder.
- Select the respective PDF documents in your Windows Explorer.
- Using the right mouse button, click on “Send to” in the context menu.
- Select “ZIP Compressed Folder”. Your PDF documents will now be packed in a ZIP folder and can thus be sent in an email.
PDF files with input fields are ideal for sending and filling out.